Home > Evangelism, Footwashing, Jesus, Outreach, Passion, Redemption, Women's Ministry > Lessons Learned From the Alabaster Box – Bro. Jeff Breza

Lessons Learned From the Alabaster Box – Bro. Jeff Breza

Washing Jesus' FeetIf you could imagine with me for a minute what it must have been like when Jesus entered a room.

Try to picture the woman who had the alabaster box.  This was something that was precious to her.  This box was the most valuable thing that she had and she gave it all away.  The passage of scripture that I am referring to is in Luke Chapter 7 verses 36 – 50

[36] And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to meat.
[37] And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
[38] And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
[39] Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
[40] And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
[41] There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
[42] And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
[43] Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
[44] And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
[45] Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
[46] My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
[47] Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
[48] And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
[49] And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
[50] And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.
 As you are reading this entry I am using my own words to describe this awesome event.  She had the right idea.

We can learn so much from her and what she was doing and why she was doing it.  She recognized who Jesus was to her, and that there were no limits on what she was willing to give to Jesus.  Why am I referencing this passage of scripture as it relates to repentance?  The reason is; she knew that Jesus was the Savior; she also recognized that she had a past that needed to be forgiven by the Lamb of God.  This woman was considered a heathen by the religious, but she didn’t care.  She gave what she had; she offered herself to the Lord as an act of worship.

The Lord gave honor to this woman, and spoke freedom into her life when he said, “thy sins are forgiven”. He also told her, “thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.”  She came in bound with a past that needed to be forgiven and healed.  She left free, and no longer bound to the past that she was held captive to.  The Lord forgave her because of her willingness to give herself completely to the Lord.

My prayer is that who ever reads this, saint or sinner, would be encouraged to go deeper and higher, to become more intimate with Jesus.  Wouldn’t it be great to wake up one day and no longer carry the burden of life, and walk around frustrated with yourself and others around you?  The Lord offers deliverance to each of us. He is waiting for us to call upon Him.

May the Lord bless you, keep you, and draw you closer to the love of Jesus.

Bro. Jeff Breza

About these ads
  1. Valerie Walker
    October 2, 2009 at 11:09 am | #1

I just want to say that this is the most precious story ever told. It touches my soul everytime that I hear it. It’s reassurance that no matter how bad you think you are, Jesus is always waiting for you with open arms. Giving him our most valuable assets for offering (our souls). What could be a greater gift for HIM?!

2. January 8, 2010 at 2:32 am | #2

This is a wonderful story, I’m actually trying to study on the Alabaser Box/Jar. If by chance you know how/where I can find some resources on this subject it will really be appreciated.

3. March 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm | #3

Sarah I apologize it took me so long to contact regarding your initial response. I did some basic research on your question and I came up with some interesting information. Please let me know what you think. jkbreza@comcast.net

ALABASTER: what is it? An onyx marble stone, translucent and clouded or banded like agate, but not as hard as marble. This stone can be put to the lathe into which cups, boxes and vases can be made. Hence the beautiful containers formed can hold various precious household jewelry or liquid of great worth.

For argument sake let us call Jerusalem and the Temple Mount, “God’s Alabaster Box”. Most beautiful and precious, made of the finest onyx marble, covered with jewels and having two handles of gold. In it is the most precious ointment for the Holy One (Psalm 2:2b; I Samuel 16:12 etc.) In Luke 7:37-50 we read of a woman anointing Jesus’ feet for He brought good tidings of good things to come – the Gospel of the Kingdom (Romans 10:15, Isaiah 52:7).

All Nations’ Desire

The peoples of the earth have said in the past: “Aha, even the ancient high places are ours in possession” (Ezekiel 36:2). Then in 1967 the Alabaster Box returned to the rightful owner, Israel, and the world went mad with rage. The Word of the Lord started fulfillment, and immediately the world wants to split up and break apart this most beautiful box of Alabaster. “Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Surely in the fire of my jealousy have I spoken against the residue of the heathen …which have appointed MY LAND into their possession with the joy of all their heart, with despiteful minds, to cast it out for a prey” (Ezekiel 36:5).

4. Ann Bartsch
    March 15, 2010 at 8:20 pm | #4

Hi I am looking for a NON copy right image to use in a blog I did that uses this story of the penitent woman.. do you think this image is ok to use? Thanks.. great message..

5. GAC
    March 24, 2010 at 5:50 pm | #5

Ann – we use a server that has images on it from a variety of sources. I wish I could say with 100% certainty that this was a non-copyrighted photo but I cannot. In the event we discover the author we will pass the information along, or if a visitor knows please pass that info along.

6. Alyssa
    October 21, 2011 at 11:52 am | #6

Brother Jeff,

May I have your permission to use this in a skit ?

7. March 4, 2012 at 8:07 pm | #7

Hello Sis Alyssa,

I’m sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I wanted to know how that skit went that had to do with the woman with the alabaster box? Thanks and God Bless….

8. Jennifer
    March 15, 2012 at 7:17 pm | #8

I will be singing this in our Easter play. It is such a beautiful song. You can have this song burned on a CD (instrumental) to sing with if you would like.

9. April 18, 2012 at 2:17 am | #9

Hello Jennifer,

How did your Easter play work out for you? I am sure it was great. By the way I was curious what was the song that you actually sang? This Bible story is so incredible and touches so many lives….

God Bless,

Jeff

10. Maxine Gonzalez
    June 21, 2012 at 7:12 pm | #10

This whole week i have been thinking about the Alabaster Box i asked God please lord give me a word very beautiful word and how it was developed thank you Ministered to my life and how she gave all she had and the lord not only forgave her sins but restored her God bless

11. December 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm | #11

Fantastic items from you, man. I have understand your stuff prior to and you’re just too
    fantastic. I really like what you have acquired here, really
    like what you’re saying and the best way through which you are saying it.
    You make it entertaining and you continue to take care of to stay it smart.
    I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great website.

1. No trackbacks yet.